VQ30DET Forums

Forms for all those Vq Turbo projects
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:06 pm 

I thought I might do a thread for my fianc├ęs drift car, after all it shares a stable with GUN180 and is a build I have, and continue, to play a major roll in 8-)

I cant remember exactly when the car came into our lives... but I think it was early 2012 maybe, not long before GUN180 was pulled off the road for its conversion.

Sheridan had supported my drift habit for a long time, something I had only just taken up when I met her, she has always been more interested in grip than drift and had only owned FWD and AWD cars... so when she decided that she'd like to have a proper crack at it and learn how to throw a RWD around I was happy to help her build a car!

She has always been more of an R chassis fan and loved GTR skylines, so when it came time to purchase a RWD she naturally chose an R32 GTS-T, she picked up this car from Melbourne as there weren't any suitable cars in Tassie cheap enough.
The car needed a bit of work to bring it up to scratch for it 1st drift day, the previous owner had some pretty dodgy shit going on, like an external fuel pump and surge tank (about 500ml tank lol) tek screwed into the boot with a power wire for the pump running from the amp that was also running a big arse sub (also tek screwed down) :o
But it had coilovers and an RB25 turbo, it didn't go too bad, made 160RWkW on the dyno and did a good skid, it was a starting point 8-)

Sheri spent plenty of time spinning out and coming off the track at her first few events, no different to how I started, but she still managed to pull off some nice drifts!

It wasn't long before we decided there where some areas of the car that required fixing if she was going to improve her drifting to the next level, so that Christmas santa was very generous!!

We installed some new Coilovers, front camber and castor arms rear camber arms and a GTR rear swaybar, as well as some solid subframe bushes and project mu handbrake shoes.
Sheridan does do a lot of work on the car herself... with my guidance :lol:

off to do some more drifting
I think she's pumped!!

Here is a couple of videos of her drifting with the RB20DET Setup
Sheri drifting 1
Sheri drifting 2

At the end of 2013 after finishing 12th outright for her rookie season, she had the urge for MORE POWER and wanted to do an RB25 conversion, so a cheap series 1 RB25det was found and purchased (we went with series one as it makes the swap a lot easier using the R32 RB20 loom) and some other goodies like HKS injectors Z32 AFM and Power FC ECU where bought from our good friend and tuner Andrew at Confidyne.

Sheri cleaning up the Motor and taking the sump off to install the correct front sump ready to drop in (block and head where separate when we purchased it, the head had just had a full rebuild and the motor was to be used in a 280Z!!)

Sheridan's dad and my fabricator mate prepping the RB20 to come out

RB20det out...

We installed the RB25 without the head, then put the head on when the motor was bolted in place

RB25det in...

It took me about a week from that last pic to get everything else bolted in/ on and wired up, the wiring wasnt too bad, using the factory R32 loom made it pretty straight forward...
being a series 1 RB25 we where able to use the RB20 coilpacks/ igniter and wiring, just had to swap some injector plugs over and swap 2 wires over at the ecu (2 injectors change pinouts from RB20 to 25) and also run a wire to the ecu for VCT.

We used a cheap, small, Kinugawa TD05-18g to do the puffing...

It's had a few issues using this turbo, mostly to do with boost control, it gets retuned before every other event... luckily though that doesn't cost us anything since Confidyne look after us and are one of sheridans sponsors 8-)
It has made anywhere from 230-260rwkw depending on what day it was dynoed and what problems it had at the time!

She decided to go for a new look with the car for 2014 as well, so the hagard old GTR style bar (now mostly made of cable ties) was retired for a new (2nd hand) bar & some factory plastic side skirts and rear pods

And the car was sprayed in matte black EBC liquid wrap (similar to plasti dip)

The Tyre Solution (a local dunlop super dealer owned by the then current state drift champion) also supported her for 2014, easing the cost burden of our drift habbit as my car was nearing ready for a return to track.

It was a year of ups and downs for Sheridan and PIG032, having less success during the season than with the old RB20det setup... mostly we put it down to an inconsistent car throughout the season, most practice days the car seemed fine and Sheridans drifting improved in leaps and bounds, but car trouble always seemed to strike during comp days!
From intercooler pipe blowout issues to a failing fuel pump... But we always got through the day in the end 8-)
Her end of season result didnt realy show how much she had improved, finishing 21 spots further back than last season :roll:

A couple of video's:
Sheri drifting RB25 @ Basky
Sheri drifting Symmons Plains raceway

Accidents do happen... this was cuased at one round when they put red tyre bundles on the outside of a corner because they wanted us to stop dirt dropping :evil:

Turn 4 at baskerville raceway is sheridans fave, she can often be seen with an arm out the window even though we are strictly not allowed to do that :twisted:

Sheridan took great delight at the end of the year at a lap dash event, taking out a class win and fastest female award, she beat me by almost a second!! more impressivly she beat our tuner (and friend that encouraged us to enter) in his 300+rwkw R33 Skyline by over a second!! Sheri has improved her RWD driving skills with her drifting just as she had planned :D

more to come, stay tuned...

Last edited by GUN180 on Sat May 23, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:14 am 

For 2015 Sheridans R32 remains 'mostly' unchanged in the mechanicle department... I may have accidently busted her poor little RB20 gearbox resulting in me having to put a RB25 box new tailshaft and diff in for her... but other than that, here's the spec list:

Engine: Series 1 RB25DET, splitfire coilpacks, HKS 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, Apexi Power FC, Kinugawa TD05 -18g, JJR belmouth dump/front pipe, unknown straight through 3" exhaust.
Drivetrain: Xtreme sprung centre Solid button ceramic clutch, RB25 gearbox, Custom tailshaft using factory rear half with new uni's and centre bearing with R33 slip yoke on front half, Tightly shimmed 4.11:1 Ratio LSD.
Handling: BC BR type coilovers, GTR rear swaybar, GKtech V2 rear camber arms, V2 front castor arms, solid subframe bushes and extented rack spacer, Cusco -5mm front camber arms, random brand strut braces front and back.
Interior: Mostly stripped out rear, everything else stock except for aftermarket temp and boost guages and power FC comander! oh and a flip out monitor DVD player :lol:
Exterior: Kmak Aero "Rocket Bunny Style" rear wing, Kmak Aero "Factory Type M style" sideskirts, Unkown brand "vertex style?" front bar, EBC liquid wrap with "DipYourCar.Com" RL-71 Alian Pearl additives, usualy Zenki 17x9 Alloy wheels, and sponsors vinyls by Smith Signs.

Sheridan did decide to embark on a makeover for PIG032 for season 2015, the sideskirts had been run over numerous times during the season and where now mostly made of cable ties, so new fibreglass items where ordered from Kmak Areo along with the new Rocket Bunny style wing.

Peeling the old EBC liquid wrap (she actualy had the car sprayed by someone else in 2014, it was too thin and difficult to peel, so she decided to do it herself this year)

Skirts and wing fitted

Then on to spraying, a matte black base was applied 1st

2nd coat of Pearl

End result (doesn't look too impressive here in low light)

It's pretty damn impressive out in the light though 8-)

Off to the 1st drift day of the year, the black 180SX is sheridans dad 8-)

DORIFUTOOooo

Video Link:
2015 Symmons Plains Raceway

We've also had some fun doing grip laps at a private practice day at Symmons Plains this year, there where cooked brakes and high engine temps everywhere lol
The gold 180SX is Sheridans step dad, it's RB25 powered 8-)
The black on is her Fathers drift car (Pooey SR20 power)
And the multi coloured Bucket is GUN180... VQ30det powered of course :D

Sheridan is also lucky enough to own one of her "hero" cars, the mighty ST205 GT-Four Celica, 2 litre turbo AWD goodness 8-)

She has had this car since we have been together, and will probably have it forever! she has had some success in street class time attack in it too, taking second to a highly modified EVO IIX at Baskerville raceway.
Her other "hero" car is a little out of our reach... she wants an R34 GTR V-Spec II NUR in millenium jade!! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:46 am 

Is that liquid wrap like plastidip? Looks good

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm 

30ED32 wrote:
Is that liquid wrap like plastidip? Looks good

Yeah, basically the same stuff... Just an Australian brand that is (was) a fair bit cheaper, not sure what has happened to the company though, the facebook page has vanished and website seems to be down... I was planning on using the same coating on my 180SX!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Lookin good mate, good to see drifto is in the family :)

Website http://www.vqturbo.com
Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/802123023211128/