VQ30DET Forums

Forms for all those Vq Turbo projects
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: VQ into GTX Skyline
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 pm 

Hi there. I am totally new to the VQ motor. I bought I VQ30det with 350Z manual gearbox to put it into my 1984 GTX Skyline. I feel like I am totally out of my depth with this motor. The one I got is stripped and I have no idea where to begin. Like how does the trimming work? How do I run an aftermarket computer....... The list go on. Here is a picture of my car.

Any advise on the workings of the engine is more than welcome. Oh, it will be twin turbo'd. :D :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: VQ into GTX Skyline
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:49 pm 

Welcome to the forums mate, that is a sweet looking skyline 8-)

1.- How stripped is the motor, is it in peices or do you mean all the loom and hoses etc. are off? do you have a picture?
2.- Is the gearbox already mated to the motor with a working clutch or are they seperate and you have to get a clutch?
3.- Do you have an engine loom and ECU? is the motor Y33 or Y34 model VQ30DET?

Sorry for all the questions straight up, but I would like to know so I can begin to help you ;)

If you have the factory ECU you could have a tunable NISTUNE board installed in it, mine runs on one... it's a lot cheaper option than stand alone engine managment as there are no other "plug and play" ECU's for this motor.
Some people have had success running stand alone haltec or link engine managment systems... but you would have to wire it up completely custom :?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 am 

The looms and all the hoses is in a box. I do have a nice clutch and I do believe the previous owner has donethe right homework. I have two wiring looms and a ecu, but I have no idea which model it is for. I did not get a mass meter with the gear, but I have noticed some on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Would the standard computer be able to identify 2 mass meters for the twin turbo setup? My previous engine was an old L-Series Nissan motor. Nice and simple. I must say that I do not like the standard throttle body on the standard intake of the vq motor. It only opens up halfway. Anyway ,I will post some pictures later today about my headache. :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm 

The standard MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor for VQ30DET is the same as a series 2 R33 skyline (RB25DET).
The standard ECU will not be able to run 2 MAF sensors as far as I know...

If you use a NIStune board in your ECU (google it and do some research if you haven't heard of nistune) it is possible to use different Nissan MAF sensors such as Z32 that handle a larger volume of airflow.
I'm still not sure that you can run 2 MAF sensors with nistune... If you are going to run one throttle body still with twin turbo's you could move the MAF sensor into the cold side intercooler pipework before the throttle body, it can be tuned to handle this (can't do that with stock ECU though).

Is there any particular reason for using twin turbo?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm 

I like the look of the twin turbos sitting in front of the motor. You know, a GTR r35 air box in the front left side and one in the front right side. Hmmmmmm, Sweet. Tell me, how does the timing work on this motor? I've noticed grooves in the flywheel. I counted 30 of them and was wondering if that was the pick-up? Remember, I am a newbie to this stripped engine. :D :D :D
Bare motor or should I say "naked"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

welcome

looks like your in for a fun time :P

jellous of how clean your engine is! whats did you clean it with, or is it painted covers?

Website http://www.vqturbo.com
Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/802123023211128/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 pm 

The engine is really clean and the covers are painted. The previous owner did a really good job. Let the fun begin :) :)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm 

Gtx Skyline wrote:
Tell me, how does the timing work on this motor? I've noticed grooves in the flywheel. I counted 30 of them and was wondering if that was the pick-up? Remember, I am a newbie to this stripped engine. :D :D :D

The ECU takes care of the timing, taking it's reference from 3 sensors.
2 crank sensors (one front and one back) and 1 cam sensor.

The cam sensor I can see in your picture of the front of the engine, the front crank sensor should be just below and to the drivers side of the crank pulley (measuring 3 teeth on the pulley) and the rear crank sensor slots into a hole in the belhousing measuring the teeth on the timing ring on the flywheel (normaly on the flexplate as all VQ30det started life as an auto).

you say your flywheel has 30 "grooves"... by grooves do you mean like notches?
Like in this picture of a 350z flywheel

Because it's supposed to have a lot more than 30! this is my flywheel, note the timing ring has teeth all the way around evenly spaced...

I think I may have found where your motor has come from, it looks to be from this conversion into an R34 that didnt get finished... http://performanceforums.com/forums/sho ... 30-r34-gtt
If it is this motor, you have a Y34 VQ30DET NEO.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:11 am 

I believe that you are right. All the gear was intended for a R34 Skyline. My flywheel must be then from a 350z. Does yours have 60 "notches" then and how do I go about sourcing one? The aftermarket computer I am looking at can pick up either the 60-2 or the 30-1 timing notches. Then again I probably have to mount the engine first. lol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Looking at your rear crossover pipe you have a y34 engine, as they have a 2 bolt housing on the rear thermostat.
The y33 has a square shape and 3 bolt - i think - i have the same type as you and mine was from a Y34.

The Y34 has a slot style AFM and a ECU that cannot be chipped.
My setup came with a y34 ecu and loom along with a y33 ecu and loom.
I was told the y34 did not use the rear sensor, but i had one included to run the y33 setup - to run a chipped ecu.

I dont have a good photo, by my flywheel is a custom one, sold by Steve - Maytech
It has the timing ring bolted the rear and takes a normal nissan rb25 clutch setup.

Website http://www.vqturbo.com
Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/802123023211128/