VQ30DET Forums

Forms for all those Vq Turbo projects
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:46 am 

unkn0wn wrote:
Just the other day I had the turbo in my hands, trying to find a good spot
I think ill have to get manifolds made here - because there is so very little room for movement where i want it.

I wanted
- the crossover pipe to go over the front, then duck under the bottom radiator hose.
- The turbo flange to sit roughly right next to the little two way T fitting thats sends water to the front and rear of the engine.
~ No idea how to work the external gate into that space tho either.

Im still pondering my setup, open to input

Im going to.make both manifolds with one going around front and the other around the rear in the stock location . The one which goes around the rear will have short 3-1 merge collectors on the drivers side then crossover with long tuned 3-1 headers on the passenger side to make up for the exhaust gas travel difference due to the long crossover pipe which will help the engine breathe alot better and spool the turbo alot quicker. The turbo can then be relocated anywhere you want providing that you give me exact measurements for placement/limits for your setup. Intake manifolds will also be on the list of things to fabricate soon so again if you guys have a personal preference on how you would like to see these done any input would be good :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Admin

This is the water thing im talking about.

Do we know if you can modify this to not protrude so far out?
Where i wanted the turbo flange is pretty much resting next to it.

with the intakes, i think your already on the money with the design you have previously posted
altho is it possible to curve down to follow the angle of the cam cover - just to make it easier to fit into tight places?
does yours have the factory idle sensor or do you remove this? or replace with a sr20 idle control, or something smaller?

Website http://www.vqturbo.com
Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/802123023211128/

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:23 am 

unkn0wn wrote:
This is the water thing im talking about.

Do we know if you can modify this to not protrude so far out?
Where i wanted the turbo flange is pretty much resting next to it.

with the intakes, i think your already on the money with the design you have previously posted
altho is it possible to curve down to follow the angle of the cam cover - just to make it easier to fit into tight places?
does yours have the factory idle sensor or do you remove this? or replace with a sr20 idle control, or something smaller?

With the tee section for the coolant line I will look into it as I can just make up a flange which is slimmer and maybe relocate the pointie part down and closer to the block.

As for the intake manifold the one in the pic was using a link but I can add the factory sensors and idol solenoids if needed and I can change the angle but keep in mind that changing plugs will require you to remove the manifold and I can change the design if you needit lower to clear the bonnet but will have to move the tb back up by the brake booster

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 am 

As far as exhaust manifold I think it will probably be best for an all round kit to have it go in front of the motor.. it's a little bit easier to plan where things are going to be where as going around the rear might be more of a custom thing. With how far back my engine is it wouldn't be easy to fit the rear crossover pipe without seeing it and needing a custom job. As for intakes I love the style on brads how it comes to the front, only factor for me would be how low it sits as I'd like my bonnet to close properly and not have a bulge.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:12 am 

30ED32 wrote:
As far as exhaust manifold I think it will probably be best for an all round kit to have it go in front of the motor.. it's a little bit easier to plan where things are going to be where as going around the rear might be more of a custom thing. With how far back my engine is it wouldn't be easy to fit the rear crossover pipe without seeing it and needing a custom job. As for intakes I love the style on brads how it comes to the front, only factor for me would be how low it sits as I'd like my bonnet to close properly and not have a bulge.

a crossover pipe at the front of the engine is the easier option if you have the room etc and as for the.manifold I did on brads car we had.to cut.the.bonnet and the.manifold sticks up 10mm but I can make.it.lower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am 

Well spent the day prepping the 16mm ss exhaust flanges and 3-1 merge collectors and geeze alot of fidgity work :|

Attachments:
DSC_0366.JPG
DSC_0366.JPG [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 20139 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

what type of manifold are you going to cook up?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 am 

unkn0wn wrote:
what type of manifold are you going to cook up?

Going to go around the front of the engine with turbo sitting up by the water bypass pipes :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

what turbo are you using to test fit?
I have a T3 Garret GT30, i think its 86 rear + a Turbosmart 50MM gate.

Here is some pictures i drew (just doodles)
with the front part attached with 2 vband clamps.
Is this something similar to what your doing?

Here is my turbo - not much room for movement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:58 pm 

Thats a heap of room :-) my vk45 only had 15mm clearance for the headers , and will be doing it similar to your picture but will run long tuned headers on the passenger side to try and get equal volume to the drivers side manifold which will also have tuned length but shorter running into a 2inch merge pipe with vband upto the turbo flange

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next